23 May, 2016
Lemon Chia Seed Muffins
Chia seeds are among the healthiest foods on the planet.They are loaded with nutrients that can have important benefits for your body and brain. I read a good article about the 11 proven health benefits of chia seeds the other day. If you would like to check it out, here is the link.
Why am I talking about chia seeds you ask? Because these muffins are not the normal lemon poppy-seed muffins they might look like. Instead of poppy seeds these muffins are made with chia seeds. I found this recipe from another fellow food blogger over at What’s For Dinner Esq. and I’m glad I tried them because they’re so good.
I love putting the chia seeds into them and knowing that such a good source of nutrients are going into my families bellies. I put chia seeds in other foods like smoothies, granola, energy bites, and more. Why not, if you looked at that article I linked earlier, you will see that they do nothing but benefit you in numerous ways.
If you like lemon poppy-seed muffins, try these out with the chia seeds instead and reap the benefits of this superfood!
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 tsp. organic raw chia seeds
- 2/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F
- Place muffin liners in a regular sized muffin pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, yogurt, egg, vanilla, and sugar.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, just until combined.
- Fold in the chia seeds.
- Put the batter in the muffin liners.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Let them cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
Enjoy these delicious muffins!