26 May, 2016
Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread
What do you do when you daughter has you up at 3:45am and insists on being rocked, not going back to a sound sleep until 5:00am? Bake bread and blog about it of course! This blueberry banana bread is so good. I’ve made it a few times now and every time I can’t get over how moist it is. I am not a huge fan of homemade wheat bread, but you can’t even tell that this recipe is made with whole wheat flour. I have a banana bread recipe that I love and I thought I would never try another again, but when I saw this on Pinterest it looked too good not to try. If you want to check out the original recipe you can find that at Baker by Nature. The only change I made to the recipe was adding chopped pecans, because I like nuts in my banana bread. If you’re looking for a healthier version of banana bread that taste as good as regular banana bread try this, I bet you will be glad you did.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed (will yield about 1 and 1/4 cups of mashed banana)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease a loaf pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs, sugar, applesauce, oil, and vanilla.
- Stir in the mashed bananas, blueberries, and pecans.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into the greased loaf pan.
- Bake in the oven for about an hour. At 50 minutes insert a tooth pick into the bread. If it comes out clean it is done.
- Let the bread cool for at least 15 minutes in the pan on a wire rack.
- Remove loaf and let it cool completely on the wire rack.
Make sure you let the bread cool before removing it or it will stick to the pan. I have done this before trying to rush it so we can eat a piece asap. If your going for beauty don’t rush it!I hope you enjoy this bread as much as we do. If you try it out let me know what you thought of it.