30 June, 2016
Sausage and Rice Skillet
I was looking for something new and different from our normal dinners. I saw this pin awhile back and pinned it because it just looked really good. This recipe comes from The Cozy Apron and it didn’t disappoint. Not only does it look delicious, but it tasted delicious as well. I can’t say it was 5 thumbs up because my husband wasn’t home and my kids were mixed on it. One of them liked the sausage and peppers, the other the rice and the youngest refused to try it. Now they can be picky at times so I don’t go off their taste buds all the time. I however gave it a thumbs up and will most likely be making it again.
I had to rush my meal tonight so when it was done I had to put it all in the fridge and reheat when we got home. I look forward to tasting it right from the stove next time.
There were a few things I left out from the original recipe because I didn’t have fresh herbs on hand. Next time if I plan the meal ahead of time I will add those ingredients to see how it changes the flavor of the recipe. I also added some extra spices as I thought it was a little bland at first.
Please let me know if you try this recipe out and if you liked it as much as I did.
- Olive oil
• 1 (12 ounce) package smoked beef sausage (or your favorite variety), sliced
• 1 white onion, quartered and sliced
• 1 red bell pepper, cored and sliced
• 1 yellow bell pepper, cored and sliced
• 2 cloves garlic,minced
• Black pepper
• 3 ounces (about half a tin) tomato paste
• 1 cup chicken stock
• 3 cups cooked rice
• 1 tsp. paprika
• 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro (I left this out)
• 1 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley (I left this out)
- In a large skillet over medium-high to high heat add in about 1 Tbsp. of oil, and once heated add in the sliced sausage, and leave it there for a couple of moments, in order for it to sear. Flip sausage so that it can brown on the other side for a few moments, with a slotted spoon remove from pan and set aside. Add the onion, red bell pepper, and yellow bell pepper, allow those to char and become golden, for about 3-4 minutes; then, add in the garlic and a couple of pinches of salt and pepper. Cook for another 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside with the sausage.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add a little more oil to the skillet. Add in the tomato paste and 1/2 cup of chicken stock. Stir it and let cook for about a minute.
- Add in the cooked rice and paprika, stir until it is well coated.
- Add back in the sausage, onion, peppers, and the remaining 1/2 cup of chicken stock. Stir until combined.
- Salt and Pepper to taste. (It needed it)
- Add the fresh cilantro and parsley. (Optional)
- Serve and enjoy!
It was just as good left over the next day!