18 July, 2016
Chicken Penne Pasta
It was another one of those days when I sat here wondering what I was going to make for supper. I went to the deep freezer and grabbed some frozen chicken breasts to thaw. As I continued to wonder what I was going to make, I decided to create a new dish with some ideas from past meals I’ve made using what I had in my pantry. Let me tell you the outcome was wonderful. My 9 year old loved it and commented on how good the sauce was. My 5-year-old who usually asks for all things separate on his plate had no problem with it all mixed together. My 3-year-old was too crabby and tired to eat. My husband was gone, but ate when he got home and thought is was delicious reheated. I love it when I create something and the family really likes it.
This recipe is really easy and comes together pretty fast. Most of the ingredients are items you will likely have in your pantry or fridge. I used half and half today because I have a lot of it in my fridge that needs to be used, but you could use milk, or heavy cream and get the same results.
When I cook without a recipe I don’t always measure out my ingredients. These measurements are what I would guess I used. You can add or subtract if you feel it’s lacking something. I did measure out the red pepper flakes and found this to be just the right amount. It wasn’t too spicy, but gave it good flavor. If you want more spice, add more red pepper flakes.
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 3 cloves garlic (divided)
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 (14.5oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dry white wine (OK, I added a little more)
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4-1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Broccoli, cooked
- 1 (16oz) box penne pasta, cooked
- 1 tsp. parley flakes. Use about a handful of fresh parsley instead if you have it.
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup pasta water (added at end)
- Cut the chicken breast into cubes, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Mince 2 cloves of garlic.
- Add Oil to skillet over medium heat. Once warm add the garlic.
- Add the chicken to the pan, cook until done. Spoon the chicken out into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add one more minced garlic clove.
- Add the can of tomatoes, wine, red pepper flakes, and oregano.
- Let the Sauce thicken a little.
- Cook noodles according to package.
- Cook broccoli.
- Add the half and half and parmesan cheese to the skillet. Turn down on low and let simmer until noodles are done.
- Take 1 cup of the water from the noodles when they are finished cooking, add it to the chicken mixture. Drain the noodles and add the noodles to the chicken. Mix well.
- You can also add the broccoli or serve that separate. I like to mix it in.
- Add parsley
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Serve and top with parmesan cheese.
Grab a glass of wine and enjoy!
My 9 year-old just told me everyone should try this, she liked it that much!