4 September, 2016
Fall is right around the corner and I can’t wait. I love the color change of the leaves and the cool brisk nights. It’s football season and sweatshirt wearing time. Another thing I love about fall is chili. I love a good bowl of chili on a cool fall evening.
My family loves chili. My 9 year-old was the one who suggested we have chili for supper tonight. She also loves to take it to school and heat it up for lunch the next day. A few things we enjoy with our chili is shredded cheddar cheese, raw onion and some (not me) sour cream.
I use to buy the packet of chili seasoning from the store, but today when I thought I had one in my pantry and I was already committed to making chili I realized I had no packet. So I did a little research online and found a good recipe for homemade chili seasoning. Oh my, I’m so happy I did this, I will never buy another chili packet again. These seasonings went so well with the rest of my chili. Not only was it good, but making your own seasoning is much healthier and a lot less sodium. I urge you to try this out and if you were buying chili seasoning packets like me stop and do this instead.
Grab a bowl and spoon sit down relax and enjoy the cooler weather while eating a bowl of delicious chili.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Mexican hot chili powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp (approximately) freshly ground pepper
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes (sold at Aldi)
- 2 (8 oz.) cans of tomato sauce
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup macaroni noodles
- In a large sauce pan add a little olive oil over medium high heat. Add the minced garlic clove and the onion. Sauté for a few minutes until garlic starts to brown.
- Add the ground beef and cook until meat is done.
- Combine the rest of the spices into a small bowl and stir together.
- Add the spices to the brown beef, stir to combine.
- Add the cans of diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Fill one of the larger cans with water and add it to the pot.
- Add kidney beans and frozen corn.
- Bring to a boil for a few minutes.
- Reduce heat to low cover and let simmer until ready to serve.
- Cook Noodles according to package. Add noodles right before serving.