7 September, 2016
Caramel Apple Cake Parfait
Have you ever had something go wrong, but it turned out even better in the end? Well that’s what happened in my kitchen today. I was set out to make a cake for the weekend, but I rushed it and the cake stuck to the pan coming out with half the cake still in the pan. I tasted the cake and knew I could not waste it, but I wasn’t going to waste my time decorating it with frosting.
After some thought I decided to make a parfait. I set off to my fridge and pantry to see what I had to go with the cake in a parfait. I found that I had a lot of apples. I also had a jar of homemade caramel sauce. I always have heavy whipping cream, so I knew I could whip up some whipped cream. I was now set to make a caramel apple cake parfait.
I didn’t want to make just any old whipped cream so I set off to Pinterest where I found a good base to a whipped cream with cream cheese and cinnamon in it. This was a delicious whipped cream and I will now use it in some more of my recipes that call for whipped cream.
Now this recipe is not for the cake, but for the parfait that uses yellow cake in it. This is a good recipe for any of those times you make a cake from scratch and it doesn’t turn out as pretty as you hoped. You could also make a cake from scratch or buy a box recipe just to make these tasty parfait.
I do love to taste what I eat, but I didn’t need 6 parfaits sitting around my house, so I sent them off with my husband who had a meeting tonight.
If you do try this recipe out please tell me what you thought of it in the comment section below.
- Yellow cake, cut into pieces. (I didn’t use all the cake, but the kids and I ate the rest while I was making the parfaits)
- 7 small apples, peeled and diced
- Salted caramel sauce (store-bought or you can find the recipe I use here. Follow instruction #18.)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of chopped pecans
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream (cold)
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- sea salt to taste
- Cut the cake into small bite sized pieces and set aside.
- Peel and dice the apples. Add the apples into a sauce pan over medium high heat. Add 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/4 cup salted caramel sauce.
- Bring to a boil and stir often. Its done once the apples become tender.
- Add pecans and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add the whipping cream and cinnamon. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- I used 6 mason jars. Start by filling the bottom with pieces of cake.
- Then add 2-3 Tbsps. of the whipped cream.
- Next add some caramel sauce and some of the apple mixture.
- Repeat with the cake, whipped cream, caramel sauce and apple mixture. You will use each ingredient twice in one jar.
- Top with a little caramel sauce.