12 September, 2016
Looking for a new and different recipe? Try out this chicken stroganoff, it was a hit in our household.
This was another situation were I had no idea what I was going to make for supper. It took me until about 4:00 in the afternoon to finally decide what we were going to have. I went to Pinterest to find something new. I had pinned this chicken stroganoff some time ago and had been wanting to try it out. I’ve made beef stroganoff before, but I had never tried chicken stroganoff before. I found this recipe on a blog called lil’ luna. I must say I’m sure glad I tried this recipe because chicken stroganoff might be better than beef stroganoff! Well it’s close anyway.
My husband and I really enjoyed it. The kids gave me some grief about it, but all ended up clearing their plates. My 3-year-old actually enjoyed it more the next day as leftovers. She just asked me not to give her mushrooms. 🙂
This recipe is pretty simple. There are a few spices that go on the chicken, but wow they really give this dish a lot of flavor. This recipe calls for some white wine to enhance the flavors, however the alcohol cooks out if your worried about serving to kids. You can also sample some of the wine yourself if you like!
If you’re looking for a new and different idea in the kitchen, try this recipe out I think you will be pleased with the flavors!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (drink the rest) 😉
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 lb. egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch. pieces. Season the chicken with the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, caynenne pepper, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper.
- In a skillet add the 1 Tbsp. of oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken to the hot pan and cook until done. With a slotted spoon remove the chicken from the pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Cook the egg noodles according to package. Set aside until ready to add to the sauce
- While noodles are cooking, add the remaining Tbsp. of oil to the skillet. Add the mushroom and cook until brown. Add the onion and garlic, stir occasionally until the onion is soft and translucent. Pour in the wine and cook for a few minutes. Add the butter and flour, whisk continuously being careful not to burn. Slowly add the chicken stock, whisking until the sauce is smooth. Add the worcestershire, thyme, and the remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken.
- Add the chicken back into the sauce and cook for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add noodles and sour cream, stir to combine. Let cook a few more minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.