14 September, 2016
Amazing Shrimp Tacos
These tacos are delicious! This isn’t a new recipe in our house, I’ve been making these shrimp tacos for some time now. My husband and I love them. My 9-year- old use to love them, but has decided she doesn’t like shrimp anymore, however she ate she two of them for dinner last night. She must like shrimp again. I’ve made them a few times for other relatives and they’ve always been a hit. In fact my sister-in-law and I often get together just to make these shrimp tacos and hang out.
The seasoning on the shrimp is amazing! Some of the seasonings might be hard to find, but you can use anything similar. I have better luck finding the spices I need at a larger grocery store. The avocado pico de gallo is a great addition to the shrimp. The pineapple sounds strange to some, but it adds a really good sweetness to the tacos. All the ingredients pair well together making these taco’s a delicious dinner.
I ALWAYS use raw shrimp when making shrimp tacos. Pre-cooked shrimp cook to fast and become rubbery. You want to make sure you buy peeled and deveined shrimp unless you want to do all that work yourself. We grill our shrimp on skewers out on the grill, but you could make them in the oven or on the stove top.
I urge you to try these taco’s out they really are amazing!
- 1.5 lbs raw, fresh or frozen peeled and deveined shrimp (31/35 count)
- 3-4 Tbsp. BBQ seasoning (recipe to follow)
- shredded lettuce
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 small can of crushed pineapple
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- corn tortillas
- Sour cream (garnish)
- 2 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. celery salt
- 1 Tbsp. dry mustard
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. Ancho chile (any chile spice will do)
- 2 Tbsp. New Mexico chile powder (I have also used Hot Mexican Chili Powder)
- 2 Tbsp. dried minced onion
- 2 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- Thaw shrimp in the fridge.
- Make up the BBQ spice rub. You will use about 3-4 Tbsp. Save the rest in an airtight container or plastic bag. You can use it the next time you make shrimp tacos.
- Skewer the shrimp. Sprinkle some of the rub on both sides of the shrimp.Cover with plastic wrap and set in the fridge until ready to grill.
- Dice all of the tomato, onion, cilantro, and avocado and mix together.
- Open the crushed pineapple and transfer to a bowl.
- Prepare toppings of your choice. We use mozzarella cheese, lettuce, sour cream, and lime wedges.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Heat the corn tortillas, about 3 minutes on each side. This makes it so the tortillas don’t fall apart on you.
- Grill the shrimp about 5 minutes on both sides. Shrimp doesn’t take long at all.
- Assemble tacos with the pico de gallo on the bottom,followed by the pineapple, cheese, lettuce, shrimp, sour cream and top off with a squeeze of lime juice.