14 September, 2016
Easy Caramel Sauce
Caramel sauce is something I love a lot! I like it on many things. It’s wonderful on ice cream, cake, cheesecakes, pies and so much more. It’s something I get a lot of satisfaction from when making it on my own, rather than buying it from the store.
If you’ve never made caramel sauce before it’s not easy. It takes a little practice, but if your lucky and if you have good directions you just might master it on the first try.
Caramel is something you need to give your full attention, it can burn fast. You will need to be at the stove the entire time. So if your busy with something else, drop it and focus on making some delicious caramel sauce.
I like my Caramel a little on the thicker side. This caramel sauce will thicken up as it cools off. I use it often on top cheesecakes. It is my go to recipe!
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. water
- A drop of light Karo syrup
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream (room temperature)
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- In a sauce pan over high heat add the sugar, water, and drop of syrup.
- Stir to combine and let boil. It will boil into a liquid. Stir occasionally until an amber liquid is formed. I use both a whisk and spatula during this process. Flatten all crystal pieces with spatula. You will want to remove from heat as soon as a nice amber color appears, it will burn fast.
- Wait a few moments and very slowly add the heavy whipping cream while whisking. I add a very little whisk and repeat until it doesn’t bubble up anymore when adding the cream. Pour in the rest of the cream and whisk.
- Return to burner on a medium heat. Add the butter whisking the entire time.
- Add salt.
- Let it bubble and boil a few minutes while whisking.
- Turn off the heat.
- Pour into a mason jar.
- Let cool.
I think the most important things are to not leave the stove while making. Add Karo Syrup. Quickly remove from heat when it turns amber in color. Slowly add the heavy whipping cream. Let it cool before using. Refrigerate in a mason jar or air tight container. When ready to use microwave for 30 seconds.
I hope these tips help you out and your one of the few that get it perfect on the first try!