7 October, 2016
Strawberry Banana Bread
It seems like my bananas are getting ripe way too fast lately. I needed to make something with bananas today or it might be too late to use them. I looked up bananas on Pinterest and saw a picture of strawberry banana bread. I’ve never tried banana bread with strawberries in it and it looked good! The blog that inspired me is called Averiecooks. I followed her recipe for the most part, but of course I added a few ingredients that I thought would make the bread even better. One thing I always add in all my banana bread is nuts. I usually use pecans or walnuts. I like the texture the nuts give the bread. Another thing I sometimes add to banana bread for my kids is dark chocolate chips. Today I thought chocolate chips would go really well with the strawberries.
The bread is pretty easy to prepare, you don’t even need any electronic mixer just mix it all by hand. You can’t get much easier than that. I love simple easy recipes that end in extreme deliciousness. This Strawberry Banana Bread is just that.
I think it’s safe to say we all have times when we look over at the counter and see those bananas getting black, some might toss them, some might freeze them, and some like me might instantly think banana bread. If you’re like me I urge you to try this recipe out, bananas and strawberries go well together!
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional if necessary (see step 4 in directions)
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt,
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large or 3 small bananas)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, diced into small pieces and tossed in 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (helps prevent sinking to bottom of the pan)
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and flour. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add to first 6 ingredients and whisk together until combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and fold spatula just until combined.
- Add the mashed bananas and fold with spatula just until combined.
- Cut strawberries into small pieces. Toss the strawberries in 3 Tbsp. of flour. Add the strawberries to the mixture and gently fold in with spatula.
- Add walnuts and chocolate chips and fold in with spatula, gently.
- Pour mixture into the loaf pan. Bake for 60 minutes. Time may very. Check with a tooth pick after 50 minutes. Tooth pick should come out clean with a few crumbs, but no batter. You may need to cover with a tent of foil if bread starts to brown, but center is not done.
- Once done, let bread cool in pan for 15 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely.
Serve and enjoy!