8 November, 2016
Decorated Emoji Cupcakes
Today is a very special day at our house. It is my son’s 6th birthday! Like any child’s birthday a treat is needed to take to his classroom to celebrate with classmates. We’re very happy his school still allows you to bring in home-baked goods. Awhile back I had spotted these emoji cupcakes on Pinterest and thought they were totally cute. I later showed them to my son and he agreed that they were cool and he wanted me to make them for him when it was his birthday for his class. So last night I made 19 cupcakes and decorated them with various emojis. I was a little nervous. I’m not a skilled decorator, but they turned out cute and I am happy with how they look.
I made a butter cream cheese frosting, which is one of my favorite for cakes and cupcakes. Not only does it pipe well, but it tastes so good! After I made the frosting, I dyed it yellow. I used colored icing I bought at the store to do the decorations on the cupcake. You can buy the piping tools with them as well.
Decorating them was a lot of fun, I even let my kids take a try at it. Here are what theirs looked like. Now remember they are 9, 6, and 3.
I sure hope his little kindergarten class enjoys them!
- 4 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 stick of butter (softened)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- a pinch of salt
- yellow dye
- black icing
- white icing
- pink icing
- blue icing
- red icing
- 20-24 cupcakes
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter together on medium speed until no lumps remain, about 3 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp. heavy cream, vanilla extract, and salt. Increase to high-speed and beat for 3 minutes.
- If the mixture is too thick, add another Tbsp. of heavy cream.
- Add yellow dye and mix until combined.
- Frost each cupcake with yellow frosting.
- Decorate each cupcake as your favorite emoji.
Enjoy these adorable cupcakes!