17 November, 2016
Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
Today’s recipe is an oldie, but goodie! I remember my mom making scalloped potatoes and ham often when we were kids. It’s a pretty simple recipe with not many ingredients. All you need is some potatoes, ham, milk, flour, and a few spices. The kind of ham you use is totally up to you. I’ve used just about every different kind of ham you can think of. I usually make it with left over ham from a holiday or even lunch meat that we bought way too much of and needed to use up. For the potatoes I use Russet potatoes. You want to use a potato that will absorb the milk and flour.
I made this last night for my family, but I was going out to eat with some ladies from church. I left he house wondering if the kids would enjoy it, because it had been a long time since I last made it. I was pleasantly surprised when I came home and my children said it was so good. My son gave it 2 thumbs up!
Scalloped potatoes and ham is one of those dishes I think might even be better the next day. Today I enjoyed it for my lunch and had to agree with my son that it received a big thumbs up!
- 3 cups of cubed or diced ham (give or take on personal preference)
- 4 large potatoes (very large)
- 4 Tbsp. flour (divided)
- 1 tsp. salt (divided)
- 1 tsp. pepper (divided)
- 1 tsp. onion salt (divided)
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Peel and slice the potatoes. Slice them about an inch thick.
- Place half the potatoes in a cast iron pot (any baking dish works, but I like the cast iron)
- Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups ham over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, and 1/2 tsp. onion salt over the ham and potatoes.
- Pour milk over the top until it just cover the potatoes and ham.
- Sprinkle 2 Tbsp. flour over the top of the milk.
- Repeat with the remaining potatoes, ham and spices.
- Pour in milk just until everything is covered.
- Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. flour on top of milk.
- Stir together.
- Place 4 Tbsp. butter cut into 1 Tbsp. each and place on top.
- Cover and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until potatoes thicken to desired consistency. Be careful if the pot is full they will bubble and boil over. I uncovered mine half way through.
- Let cool a few minutes and serve.