17 December, 2016
Sausage and Rice Skillet (Cajun option)
This is a go to recipe for me when I need to make something quick. It’s all made in one skillet and can be made up in less than 30 minutes. You got to love that. Not only is it quick and simple, but it’s full of flavor.
I found the original recipe on a blog called Diethood. For the most part I follow the recipe, but I do add the Cajun from time to time.
I usually have some kind of sausage in my fridge and rice in my pantry. I’ve used kielbasa sausage, Cajun sausage, turkey sausage, and beef sausage in the past. Today I had plain turkey sausage in the fridge. I like a little spice in this dish so I added Cajun spices to the meat. I’ve had it without and it’s just as good if you’re not a fan of a little heat. Sometimes I make this with minute white rice and other times minute brown rice. Both options are good it’s just a personal preference really.
This is such an easy recipe and most of the ingredients are things you would have in your fridge or pantry. So try it out and if you like it keep all the ingredients on hand for those moments when you have no plans for supper and you need to make something quick.
- 14-16 oz package of sausage (If you like heat use Cajun sausage otherwise any kind will do)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cajun seasoning (optional) (Don’t use if you used Cajun sausage)
- 1 /2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups minute rice (white or brown)
- In a large skillet over medium high heat add the olive oil and 2 minced garlic cloves. Once warm add the sausage and cook until browned. Salt and pepper to taste. (If adding Cajun sprinkle it over the sausage at this time. I use about 1/4 tsp.)
- With a slotted spoon remove the sausage. Set aside.
- Add more oil if needed and one more garlic clove minced.
- Add the onion and green pepper and cook for about 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice and cooked sausage. Cover and turn the heat to low.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until all the liquid is gone and the rice is done.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve and enjoy.