5 January, 2017
Pizza is loved by most everyone right? It’s a favorite in our house for sure. When we lived in Iowa I remember a lady who brought pizza soup to our church potlucks. I absolutely loved it back then so I decided to give it a try myself.
I guess the first thing I thought of was all the different ingredients we like on our pizza. Since the 2 younger kids don’t care for onions green peppers, and mushrooms, I chopped them up in my food processor so they were tiny and unrecognizable to them. If you don’t have picky children you can just dice them by hand so they aren’t so small. As usual I sautéed the veggies in garlic before adding them into the soup. I just love the flavor this give our food. After I sautéed the veggies I added the cooked pork sausage and the pepperoni.
Next I took a look in my pantry to see what I had to make the broth part of the soup. I found beef broth, fire roasted tomatoes and tomato sauce. Along with some spices this made for a good broth base to the soup.
The flavors of everything combined along with letting the soup simmer for 45 minutes turned out divine!
If you’re a pizza lover try this pizza soup out you just might love it too!
- 1 lb Jimmy Deans Italian pork sausage, browned
- 32 oz low sodium beef broth
- (2) 8 oz cans tomato sauce
- (2) 14.5 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 8 oz package of mushrooms, diced
- 5 oz package pepperoni, chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- salt to taste
- Chop the onion, green pepper, mushrooms, and garlic and set aside.
- Brown Italian sausage, set aside.
- In a large skillet add 1 Tbsp. olive oil and minced garlic saute over medium heat for a minute.
- Add the onion. green pepper, and mushrooms. Saute for a few minutes until veggies are tender.
- Turn on low. Add the Italian sausage and pepperoni. Cover and turn off the heat.
- In a large pot combine the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beef broth, oregano, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil.
- Turn down to low and add the veggie mixture.
- Add Shredded Parmesan cheese and stir.
- Cover and let simmer for 30-60 minutes. The longer you let it simmer the better the flavor!
- Salt to taste
- Ladle soup in bowl and top with mozzarella cheese. (Use any kind of cheese you like)
We enjoyed this with a side of cheesy garlic bread!