14 January, 2017
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
The kids had a snow day this week due to icy roads. I have a love hate relationship with snow days. I love letting the kids sleep in longer and not having the hustle and bustle of getting lunches ready and making sure everyone gets out the door with all their stuff. However at about lunch time and the fighting has started I’m ready to ship them out the door to school so I can have my sanity back. On days like these when it’s cold outside and we’re shut in due to hazardous roads I like to have something warm and comforting for supper. I decided to make some homemade chicken noodle soup because I know all 3 of my kids like it and will eat multiple helping of it.
When it comes to soup I like to make my broth from scratch. I hate dealing with all that sodium that store-bought boxes bring and if made right you can get so much flavor from boiling your bone-in chicken along with some veggies and spices. The broth this made was so good I ate 3 bowl of soup myself at supper. The kids had seconds and the left overs the next day were just as delicious.
So if you’re like me and you like warm comforting meals when it’s snowy or just really cold outside try this recipe for chicken noddle soup out.
- 12-15 chicken legs
- 1/8 cup kosher salt
- 1 onion, quartered
- 4 carrots, not peeled, but cut into 3rd”s
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 3 stalks of celery, cut into 3rd’s (don’t cut the tops or bottoms off)
- 6 leaves fresh basil
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Place the chicken legs in a large pot and cover with plenty of water.
- Add Kosher salt and stir.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, basil, Italian seasoning, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and let boil 15 minutes.
- Turn down to a low heat and let simmer for 20-25 minutes. Chicken should be coming off the bone.
- Remove the chicken and let cool.
- Stain the broth to separate the veggies and broth.
- Discard the veggies and add the broth back to the pot.
- Prepared Broth from above
- Meat from 12-15 chicken legs
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 very large potato or 2 medium-sized potatoes, diced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cup cooked wide egg noodles
- In a large skillet over medium heat and the olive oil and garlic.
- Add carrots, onion, and celery. Saute 8-10 minutes.
- Add the sautéed veggies to the broth.
- Add corn.
- Add potatoes
- Bring the broth to a boil.
- Boil 10 minutes.
- Turn to low and let simmer until veggies are cooked and ready to serve. The longer you let the soup simmer the more flavor it has.
Serve and enjoy with some crackers or bread!