28 January, 2017
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
On a cold Wisconsin winter day, soup is always a comforting food to have for supper. There is just something special about a warm bowl of soup when it cold or snowy outside. Today I made what is my all time favorite soup . If I had to describe this soup in one word, outstanding is what comes to mind. This creamy chicken and wild rice soup really is so delicious and full of flavor.
I’ve been making this soup for many years now and it’s always a big hit. I’ve shared this recipe with many friends over the years because they enjoyed it so much they want to make it themselves. So now I’ve decided to share it with all of you. Trust me you thank me later.
As I always do with my soups, I sautéed the vegetables in garlic to add extra flavor. I’m sure you could skip this step, but the more garlic flavor the better in my opinion. I made my own chicken broth by boiling the bone in chicken in water. Today I used thighs, but chicken legs work well too. If you wanted to use store-bought chicken broth you could, but then you have all that sodium and less taste. You could add just about any vegetable you wanted. I like to use celery, carrots, onion, mushrooms, and potatoes.
Our family really enjoys this soup. My husband has mentioned on occasions that he thinks it’s restaurant quality. The kids eat it well, but my 4-year-old seems to be getting pickier by the day.
If you’re looking for a super delicious soup for a cold winter day or even if it’s not cold by you, try this soup out and get back to me on how it turned out for you,
- 6 bone in chicken thighs
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 8 oz package of mushrooms, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 box of long grain wild rice soup (6-7 oz)
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Place the chicken thighs in a large pot. Cover with water. Add a handful of salt.
- Boil thighs for 20 minutes. Simmer on low for 25 minutes. Make sure chicken is done.
- Remove chicken and set aside to cool.
- In a large skillet over heat add olive oil and garlic.
- Add chopped carrots, onion, celery, and mushrooms. Salt and Pepper to taste. Saute for 10 minutes.
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add potatoes, rice packet and sautéed veggies.
- Remove chicken from bone and add to boiling broth.
- Boil for 10 minutes. Turn to low and let simmer until veggies are tender about 25 minutes.
- In a medium sauce pan over high heat. Add butter.
- Once the butter is melted and bubbling add the flour. Stir until combine.
- Add milk stirring with a wish until smooth. Stirring constantly for about 5 minutes until the mixture thickens and is smooth.
- Add the thickened mixture into the soup and stir until combine.
- Add 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and stir until melted.
- Let simmer for as long as you like. You could also put it into a crock pot on low until ready to serve.
- Serve and enjoy!