26 February, 2017
Stuffed Chicken Fajita Breasts
I love coming up with new ways to eat chicken. So when I came across this recipe on Pinterest I knew I had to try it. The original recipe came from a blog called Eat Yourself Skinny. I only made two changes to the recipe. The first thing I did was add some cheese with the peppers. I used pepper jack, but any kind would work. The second thing I did differently is that I brine my chicken breast after I cut them in half. Brining the chicken makes the meat so moist and is a step I do not skip when it comes to chicken and pork recipes.
This meal was really liked by all of us. Two of my children didn’t eat the peppers, but loved the taste of the chicken. The rest of us ate it all. It was just as good the next day as left overs.
I loved the flavor of the marinade on this chicken. Along with the pepper jack cheese and the peppers it’s like eating a fajita, but without the shell. This is a good low carb meal if your trying to eat healthy. To make it even healthier you can skip the cheese. I personal love chicken breast stuffed with cheese so I wouldn’t skip the cheese myself.
If you like fajita and are looking for a different way to eat chicken try this recipe out. Don’t forget to come back and let me know if your family enjoyed it as much as ours.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 3 chicken breasts or 6 thin sliced chicken cutlets ¼-inch thick
- 12 slices red bell pepper
- 12 slices yellow bell pepper
- 12 slices green bell pepper
- 1-2 slices pepper jack cheese
- To brine the chicken simply add 1 quart of lukewarm water with 1/4 cup kosher salt. Cut the chicken breast in half, add to the mixture and let brine for 30 minutes.
- After you brine the chicken pieces, dry the them off.
- Pound the chicken using the smooth side of a meat tenderizer to an even thickness of about ¼ inch. (I place chicken in between to pieces of Saran Wrap.)
- In a small bowl, mix together olive oil, lime juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, cayenne and cilantro. Set aside.
- Place chicken into a large freezer bag and pour marinade over top, making sure they are completely coated. Allow chicken to marinate for at least one hour. However the longer the better.
- Once chicken is done marinating preheat the oven to 450.
- Lay chicken out flat. Place the pepper jack cheese in the middle of each chicken breast.
- Add 6 peppers over the cheese. (2 of each kind)
- Place in a greased baking dish. I put a dab of butter over each breast.
- Bake at 450 for 20-25 minutes.
- After you pull the chicken out of the oven cover with tinfoil and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.