4 March, 2017
Creamy Pork Chop and Potato Bake.
Pork chops are something my children love, although my youngest calls it chicken most of the time. I’m always looking for new ways to prepare them because I get bored with the same old recipes. Today I tried something totally different from all the other ways I’ve prepared pork chops before. I wanted to put potatoes in the same dish I was going to bake the pork chops in. I had a vision of putting thinly sliced potatoes at the bottom of the pan and some kind of sauce to put over the pork chops and potatoes to give the entire dish lots of flavor.
Wow the dish that was created was really good. My youngest, the picky one had seconds on the pork. My husband really enjoyed it and the other two kids ate all they were served. Experimenting with new recipes always makes me a little nervous as you don’t know what to expect, but this meal was not a disappointment. It reminded me of scalloped potatoes and ham, but with more flavor and of course pork chops.
I used cream of chicken soup in this recipe because that is the only soup I had in my pantry. Next time I think I will try cream of mushroom to see how it affects the over all flavor. You could also use cream of celery if you want. No matter what kind of soup I think the outcome of this dish will be delicious.
If you’re looking for a new way to cook your pork try this out, it’s really good and worth the try. Let me know how it turned out for you!
- 6 boneless pork chops
- salt, pepper, and garlic powder to season the pork chops
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 can of mushroom or 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup (cream of mushroom or cream of celery would work too)
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- a sprinkle or 2 of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 very large potatoes, sliced thin
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- In a large skillet over medium high heat add the butter and olive oil.
- Season pork chops with salt, pepper, d garlic powder.
- Brown pork chops 2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add more butter if needed.
- Add minced garlic, onion, and mushrooms.
- Slat and pepper to taste
- Saute until onions are translucent and tender.
- Slice potatoes very thin. Place at the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan. One layer at a time adding garlic powder over each layer lightly.
- Place browned pork chops over the potatoes.
- Once the onions are tender add the can of soup and milk. Stir until smooth.
- Add a sprinkle or two of red pepper flakes. Not enough to add heat just adds a little flavor. Stir
- Pour mixture over the top of the pork chops and potatoes covering evenly.
- Tap pan on the counter trying to get the sauce down to the potatoes.
- cover with tin foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 30 minutes more until potatoes are tender.
- Serve and enjoy!