29 March, 2017
Healthy Granola Bars
Our family hasn’t been eating as healthy as we should be lately. So it’s time to get some homemade healthy snacks in the house. We have way too many chips around which can be my weak spot when I’m hungry. One healthy snack I love to have around are granola bars packed with ingredients that are good for you. These granola bars are packed with protein, not by using protein powder but foods that have a lot of protein in them.
The thing I love about making your own granola bars is that you can add whatever ingredients you want. Today I chose oatmeal, chia seeds, dark chocolate chips, pecans, cinnamon, peanut butter and honey. Sometimes I add dried fruit, but didn’t feel like it today.
When making these granola bars I melt the honey and peanut butter together before adding into the rest of the ingredients. I forgot to let the mixture cool before adding it into the dry ingredients and my chocolate chips melted to make what looks like chocolate granola bars. The taste is still good, but I prefer having the crunch of the chocolate chips. If you don’t want the chocolate chips to melt I suggest you either let the peanut butter honey mixture cool off before adding or add the chocolate chips last after everything is added and cooled. If you like the chocolate chips melted into the granola bars, then don’t worry about it.
My son absolutely loves these granola bars so much he keeps coming back for more until I cut him off. My oldest daughter would rather the chocolate chips not be melted; and my youngest wasn’t interested in trying them. As she gets older I hope she tries more of the foods she isn’t sure of. My husband and I enjoy having these around because they help us from eating the not so good for you foods we have around in the pantry. Not only are they good for you, but they are a satisfying snack that will tide you over until your next meal.
If you’re looking for an easy grab and go healthy snack, try these granola bars out. Add whatever healthy ingredients you like and create the perfect granola bar for you and your family.
- 4 cups of quick oats
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup peanut butter (can use almond butter or cashew butter)
- 1 cup honey (I used raw unfiltered)
- Add the oats, chia seeds, pecans, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir
- In a microwave safe bowl add the peanut butter and honey. Heat for 1 minute, stir and heat another 45 secs until smooth.
- Let the mixture cool a little before adding to the dry ingredients. Once added stir until combine.
- Once cooled add the chocolate chips and stir.
- Line a 9X13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add the mixture and press firmly down so bars are even. (I used a cup to press them down.)
- Cut into bars and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Store in an air tight container.