13 September, 2017
Chicken Egg Roll Wraps
These wraps are so delicious. They make an excellent appetizer for any occasion. Not only do I make them as appetizers for parties, but we often have them as a meal at home as well. This time I made them for a Packer party that I had for the season opener.
I’m not going to lie they can be a little time-consuming, but the outcome is so worth it. There are a few ways you could make it less time-consuming as well. You could just buy a jar of marinara rather than making your own like I do, but honestly the homemade is delicious and healthier than a jar. However, I know sometime we are pressed for time and like to take the quicker way. No judgment here.
There are a few steps to putting these wraps together. First I bake the chicken in the oven. While the chicken is cooking I make the marinara. Once the chicken is done I shred it and add half of the marinara to the chicken. Next I assemble the wraps. Once the wraps are ready to go I bake them in the oven on a wire rack. This way both sides of the wraps are getting crisp. I save the remaining sauce so that if you want you can put some marinara over the top of the wrap. I sometimes leave the marinara off, but I know my husband loves that addition of the marinara on top of the wrap. You can do it however you like.
I used an Italian blend cheese today with this recipe, but I’ve also used mozzarella cheese other times. I kind of just use what I have on hand and either way it tastes good.
I really hope you try this recipe out. You wont be disappointed if you do!
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups marinara sauce (see recipe below)
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves (give or take)
- 1 cup shredded Italian or mozzarella cheese (give or take)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (give or take)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 oz. can crushed or ground, peeled tomatoes
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Directions for chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Season chicken on both sides with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Place chicken in a baking pan and bake until done, about 30 minutes.
- Once chicken is done and cooled cut it up into thin strips.
Directions for marinara:
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute, stirring occasionally, until browned. Lower the heat if they begin to burn. The more color that develops on the onion and garlic, the more flavor they’ll add to the finished sauce.
- Once the onions and garlic are tender and caramel in color, add the crushed tomatoes and the tomato paste and stir until combined.
- Add the oregano, sugar, salt, and pepper stir, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add half the marinara sauce with the shredded chicken and stir until all the chicken is coated with sauce.
Directions for wraps:
- Lay out each wrap on a clean working space.
- Place some spinach leaves on one side of the wrap.
- Cover with some Italian or moz cheese.
- Place a spoon full of chicken over the cheese.
- Top with some Parmesan cheese.
- Lightly brush the sides of each wrapper with water and fold the wrapper over the filling to form a triangle. Press to seal each of the sides and set the wrap on the prepared rack. Repeat with remaining wraps.
- Next I brush each wrap with olive oil.
- Bake until the edges are golden and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve with reserved marinara sauce if desired.